No one told Mitt Romney that he would be the lone Republican taking part in a three-way debate on Tuesday night; but, not altogether unpredictably, that’s the way it turned out.
According to debate moderator and part-time participant Candy Crowley, it was “instinct” that forced her to intercede on Obama’s behalf during the somewhat rancorous discussion of the Benghazi murder of Ambassador Stevens and 3 other Americans. When Romney stated quite correctly that it took the Obama Administration 14 days to call the Benghazi killings a terror attack, Obama protested, and Crowley immediately came to his rescue, saying to Romney “he did, in fact, Sir (call it an act of terror,)” referring to a statement given by the president the day after the killings.
What Obama really said was “No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for.” Although this was indeed part of a statement given the day after the Benghazi attacks, Obama had NOT referenced the Benghazi killings as the “acts of terror” he spoke of. Rather, it was a general statement that could have just as easily referred to the 9/11 attacks the president had brought up at the same time. And it is a fact that no one in the Obama Administration–including Obama himself—spoke of terror in relation to Benghazi for the next 2 weeks, opting instead to call the 4 deaths the result of an “anti-Muhammed movie” discovered on the internet. Certainly, that would have been an odd tack for the Administration to take had the president actually referred to the Benghazi murders as “acts of terror” on the day after they had occurred.
Yet Crowley felt it her duty, or rather a matter of “instinct”, to come to Obama’s defense at this key moment in the debate.
Funny the instinctive moderator didn’t believe it necessary to correct Obama when he claimed that “…oil production has been up and that the oil companies have been granted permits to drill but refuse to do so.” “We have increased oil production to the highest levels in 16 years,” said the president, apparently oblivious to the fact that oil companies have vacated the Gulf of Mexico, costing Americans thousands of jobs.
But Romney quickly corrected Obama, telling the audience that “oil production is down 14 percent this year on federal land, and gas production was down 9 percent. Why? Because the president cut in half the number of licenses and permits for drilling on federal lands, and in federal waters.” Yet, for some reason, Ms. Crowley did NOT admonish the president for his less-than-factual claims! Apparently, she did not have these facts at her fingertips as she obviously did Obama’s Benghazi statement.
Mitt Romney won this debate, defeating Barack Obama and his obliging assistant with both facts and superior delivery. Of course, most of the media immediately declared Obama the victor, but that was to be expected.
So polls are not likely to change a great deal as a result of the town hall, unless a few undecided voters who paid close attention now decide to support Romney, thanks to the smarmy antics of Candy Crowley.
Candy Crowley, who was suspected of being one more liberal moderator in the tank for Barack Obama, was more than just in the tank for him; she dove in and sucked all the water out for him so he could pretend he walked on water.
And even beyond the interruptions, there were numerous instances where Crowley’s obvious partisanship prompted her to treat Romney with great disrespect:
1. She wouldn’t let him respond when Obama lied about the auto industry. First she called him Mr. Romney instead of governor, then protested, “there'll be plenty of chances here to go on, but I want to... We have all these folks. I will let you absolutely... OK. Will - will - you certainly will have lots of time here coming up.” Romney never did get the chance to respond.
2. After the question asking whether gas prices as they stand now are the new normal, Obama got 2 chances to respond. When Romney asked for his second chance, Crowley shut him off by saying, “ … in the follow up, it doesn't quite work like that. But I'm going to give you a chance here. I promise you, I'm going to.” She didn’t.
3. When discussing how he would deal with deductions, just as Romney was about to destroy Obama with statistics, Crowley jumped in to save her man not only by denying the value of statistics, but changing the narrative to say Romney’s numbers couldn’t possibly add up:
“And Governor, let's - before we get into a vast array of who says - what study says what, if it shouldn't add up. If somehow when you get in there, there isn't enough tax revenue coming in. If somehow the numbers don't add up, would you be willing to look again …”
4. When Romney was trying to make a point of Obama’s pension investing in China, Crowley cut him off by insinuating people were tired of him talking:
“Governor Romney, you can make it short. See all these people? They've been waiting for you. Make it short.”
Then she really tried to humiliate him with this: “If I could have you sit down, Governor Romney. Thank you.” She never asked Obama to sit down.
5. The infamous incident when she interrupted Romney’s claim about Obama’s refusal to call the Benghazi murders a terror attack:
“It - it - it - he did in fact, sir. So let me - let me call it an act of terror...
Prompted by Obama to say it a little louder, Crowley obliged:
“He - he did call it an act of terror. It did as well take - it did as well take two weeks or so for the whole idea there being a riot out there about this tape to come out. You are correct about that.”
6. 6. Just as egregiously, when the question was about assault weapons and Romney naturally started to discuss fast and furious, Crowley quickly shifted him away from that and turned it into an attack on Romney’s assault ban position:
“Governor, Governor, if I could, the question was about these assault weapons that once were once banned and are no longer banned. I know that you signed an assault weapons ban when you were in Massachusetts, obviously, with this question, you no longer do support that. Why is that, given the kind of violence that we see sometimes with these mass killings? Why is it that you have changed your mind?’
The fact that Obama escaped all night long by lie after lie didn’t seem to disturb Crowley in the slightest. She had her shadowy agenda, and she stuck to it fiercely. Now it is our job to throw her out into the sun where every American can see exactly how dirty she is.